Sunday, September 16, 2012

Turquoise Tables Revival



The other day, while shopping at the local thrift store, I stumbled upon these beautiful solid wood end tables. So I snatched them up and brought them home while images and ideas flashed through my head on the possibilities. 

I loved the grain on the wood, just not the stain. And I knew I wanted to do something turquoise because it is such a bold, yet versatile color. 

So I started to work with a vision. I spent several hours, broken into thirty minute blocks, on these babies. 

And in typical, artistic fashion, I was so excited I did not take before photos. Lame.

I started by sanding everything down, paying close attention to the tops to get every bit of the old stain off. 
I then painted the drawer and base of each with this lovely turquoise called Island Breeze. 

Once dry, I stained the top with a deep brown color (ebony) and sealed it with some clear polyacrylic minwax. 


Now for the fun part! I got to distress each piece. I feel that if you are refinishing furniture and want to distress the paint, go big or go home.....

I was so pleased with how the sanding brought out the details of the piece and gave the tables a vintage, antique, shabby chic feel. 
Here is a sideways picture of up to this point. 

I had some trouble with the minwax bubbling. I'm not sure if it was the humidity that day or what. So I had to re-do the tops. Ugh. But I wanted them to be perfect, so I resanded, restained, and resealed. And it worked. Thank goodness=)
Lastly, I painted the drawer pulls and reattached. Then I got out my camera and started snapping away. 

Here are some pics of the finished product! 



I love the faux key hole. 




Overall, I am pleased. 

I posted these to FB last night and have a couple people interested already! That makes me feel good.
Like, I am on the right track and my taste is appreciated and my effort isn't wasted. 
Plus, its always nice when a hobby you love can turn around and make a little extra spending money. 

Anywho, I will be doing a garden/chicken update in the very near future so be on the look out for that!

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin