Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pickled~French Breakfast Radishes

Yesterday morning, I harvested the last of the produce from the main garden. 

The deer had gotten in and eaten the tops off of my carrots, but I was still about to find and pull them. They look great! I will freeze them for later use in soups and such. 

The radishes are another story.....remind me why I planted these?

I don't even like them. 

But the hubby does, and I like pickled things so I looked up this recipe and gave it a shot. 
First was washing them really good. Root vegetables sometimes make me nervous with all that dirt. 
Then, I sliced these babies up very thinly and packed them into a pint sized jar. 

All the while, I had this brine simmering on the stove. Some sugar and salt, water and vinegar, garlic, peppercorns, and dried cayenne pepper. 

Lastly, I ladled the brine mix (making sure to get the garlic and pepper) into and over the radishes. 



Aren't these gorgeous!?

I have to wait 24 hours before testing them....the recipes says they would be good on sandwiches in place of dill pickles.........but you know how I love my pickles, so this is a stretch for me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! 






Now for the rest of the radishes...any good recipes out there I should try?





On another note: K-mans birthday is coming up! Here is a sneak peak of the theme this year. Can you guess it?!?






No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin