Tomorrow is my due date! Ahh! I can't believe it is here. And no baby yet...
But he could come at any time and I have an appointment tomorrow, so we shall see how soon my doc thinks it will be.
I'm feeling pretty good overall!
I've worked in the garden this week, cleaned a bunch of stuff (I've currently got the cleanest fridge in all of Colfax Land), and worked on this chair!
K-man and I went to an estate sale and bought this chair for a measly $3! Nothing was wrong with it either, other than it was missing one screw to hold the seat on....
I was super pleased with this find! I LOVE the detail on the chair back.
But this girl was in desperate need of a new cushion/fabric. It was so hard and lumpy and just plain ugly.
So, I proceeded to sand and paint the chair white. It was such beautiful wood, but I knew for my purposes I wanted it white. So white it became. I had to do a good three coats of spray paint.
I then distressed the paint using a fine sanding block to give it some character and add some age back into it.
Next came the recovering phase......
I stripped off the old fabric and found this lovely silk stripe underneath! I left it there just because I felt like it...=)
I wrapped the seat with four layers of batting (because it is what I had on hand...if I had foam, I totally would have used that instead).
I tightly stapled each side in place, then went back around and stapled until it was securely in place.
Next comes fabric.....
I thought I was going to use a french countryside toile in black and white, but then I remember this beautiful piece and everything made sense! I needed a new comfy chair for my sewing table....and this was PERFECT.
I love it when things come together like this.
So I laid out the fabric and laid the ugly old fabric on top so that I cut enough, but wasn't wasteful for the new top. I added a few inches on all sides because I knew that the batting would add some height.
Yes, my belly is poking into this photo...haha! I thought I was being so careful!
Here is the lovely fabric up close: Here is the chair painted and ready for the next step
I start stapling on one side, pulling very tight and placing a staple (make sure if you have a directional fabric, it is running in the right direction...I actually had to redo this part because of that rookie mistake=)
I then pull from the opposite side, tightly and place a staple in the center.
Repeat with the other two sides.
Then I went back around and placed staples along all edges, pulling tightly as I went.
The last thing I had to do was screw the chair seat back onto the chair frame. Easy Peasy.
Check out the detail and distressing...
At my craft table...pardon the mess. I'm terrible about cleaning up after myself down here, but I did want to show how good it looked. Perfect height too.
I tried to get some better lighting outside...here it is.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased.
In other news, I've been trying to spend as much quality time with K-man after school as possible.
I know his world is about to turn upside down, going from only child to big brother.
He is going to be so great at being a big brother, but I know parts of the transition are going to be hard for him. So, I want him to have some good memories of fun things to last him over the course of the next few weeks, when my attention is on baby.
We caught a turtle.
Played some games...
And fed the ducks/geese.
these guys were aggressive! It was slightly scary but humorous at the same time.
We had a great walk the other day too! (Ok, so that served two purposes....moving baby down and bonding time=).
Can't wait for baby to get here! We are so excited!